Tuesday, June 1, 2010

What Defines "Gifted?"

Last Friday morning I was supposed to meet with Ethan’s school to discuss possible placement in the gifted and talented (GT) program next year. Now, while every parent wants their child to be “gifted and talented,” I honestly am not messed up over the label. I just want him to excel.

Ethan is a smart, smart little boy. By 2o months, before he could speak, he knew his letters. I mean KNEW them. A TV commercial would come on with text and I’d say, “Ethan, do you see the letter Q?” He’d point to it. On a street sign, “Ethan, where’s the letter M?” He’d point to it.

His first real words came around 22 months – the numbers one to 10. I should have known I was in for a ride because he was so excited about those numbers. He would stay up for hours in the middle of the night counting from one to 10 (and I had to lay right there next to him listening.) Again, he KNEWthem, and he was adding more numbers to his vocabulary just as quick as his little language development allowed.

These things just came naturally to him. He taught himself to read by age 3. To add triple digit numbers together by age 4. This past year, it was the world map. He literally taught himself the countries of the world and their capitals. All with very little help on my part. His reading is well beyond that of his peers. (They’ve got him reading chapter books.) He can recognize numbers to infinity and beyond. His mind is just amazing.

OK, so back to my meeting. I made plans to have someone watch Abby so I could attend. When I arrived, the school administrative assistant said, “Oh. (Teacher’s Name) isn’t here today. Didn’t she call you?”

Then today, I got a note in Ethan’s folder saying the school decided to just go ahead and meet without me, and they decided to just observe him for the next year. Turns out his IQ test came out at 103, which is around the 57th percentile.

Flashback: When I was a child at this very same school, I was given what was probably the very same IQ test. Mine came back around average as well. I was not allowed to enter GT. A few years later, I was again tested, given a creativity test. They in turn told my parents that I had one of the most creative tests they had ever seen. Guess what? I qualified.

I'm not telling this to brag. I'm saying that the first test did not fit my skills or "giftedness." The second one did.

Again, I’m not as upset about the fact that he did not get in as I am the reason he did not get in. There is something wrong with a system that focuses on standardized testing and avoids common sense. (Not to mention the fact that they decided to exclude me from the meeting!) Autistic children often don’t do well on standardized tests. He was also given a creativity test. I don’t’ know what it consisted of, but I’m sure it was based off of “typical” children. Ethan may hate playing with dolls or playing cops and robbers, but you can’t tell me he’s not creative.

I thought, “Yeah, but did you ask him to design golf courses for you? Or create a new font? Or see letters and numbers in everyday objects?”
One final point. A friend told me that in her school district, they don’t like to test disabled children for GT because then they don’t qualify for special education. Since when does being disabled mean that you can’t be gifted or talented? I believe Beethoven would disagree. Or Helen Keller. Or Franklin Roosevelt. Or Temple Grandin. Or Albert Einstein, Leonardo Da Vinci, Steven Spielberg, or Bill Gates, all of whom were diagnosed with, or suspected of having autism.

So what’s the answer? I honestly don’t know. I don’t even know what to do about my own situation. I do know that this cookie-cutter system of one-size fits all is failing, especially in a nation where now one in every 110 children is diagnosed with autism.

I’d love to hear suggestions. And more than that, I’d love for us all to create solutions.

2 comments:

  1. I think that if our educational system were to treat children as the individuals they are--you would see a lot less children fall through the cracks than does now..the one-size-fits-all mentality that's still in place is so antiquated and does a total diservice to children!! BTW---this is me your friend from FB--follow me--my blog is here!! :) Love ya, Sweet Allison!! :) <3<3<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's my soapbox... our education system is 150 years too old.

    There needs to be no "bell curve" testing, because the nature of a standardized test is 50% have to be in the 50th percentile and below. NCLB is a bunch of hooey and unreasonable using a standardized test.

    School boards need to be run like a buisness and not just another political group.

    I could go on and on...

    Allison, you are doing an awesome job by being the advocate for Ethan. Parents are the ONLY way things get done and although by the time your kids are in 5th grade, you will be the parent that is "talked" about in the teachers' lounge, just remember that the "good" teachers are cheering you on!!!

    Emily

    ReplyDelete